Responsive website pros and cons
Advantages of responsive website design:
- Display of the content and navigation are similar on every device. It allows users to get familiar with the website quickly.
- All users have access to the full content of the site.
- Cost effectiveness. You develop one website for all devices so that your efforts go toward improvements in efficiency, stability, and the content.
- One URL for one page is better for SEO.
- Adjustability. A well-developed responsive website will satisfy the needs of both desktop and mobile users, increasing the number of visitors/potential customers.
Some weakness of this method:
- Because of the excessive scripts and CSS files and not optimized images, web pages may be too heavy for mobile devices. This may result in extended load time, which will cause the negative impact on user experience and SEO.
- Sometimes the desktop and mobile audience may have different needs, therefore an all-in-one approach may not work for a specific website.
Mobile website pros and cons
If you own a desktop website which already has high traffic and an established audience, and the structure is too complicated to fit into a mobile device, it makes sense to develop a stand-alone mobile version.
The pros of this option are:
- It’s easier to make changes to an independent mobile version of the site.
- Light page weight = high load speed.
- A mobile version is optimized for tapping, which is comfortable for users.
On the other hand, there are some disadvantages:
- Maintaining both the desktop and mobile versions requires more time and money than upkeeping a single website.
- Mobile websites usually don’t have much in common with the desktop versions, so users will have to learn to switch between the two.
- If the mobile website is a reduced version of the desktop, it may not satisfy all of the user’s needs.
- Two URLs for one page (desktop and mobile) may cause some SEO problems for both versions.
- A mobile website may not have the best look on high-resolution tablets or smartphones with retina display.